(1) No body did this ---> I should do this
(2) This is new ---> This is good
What is a first-class paper/research?
(1) Major advance in a classic field
(2) New techniques and methods that can be widely used
(3) Discoveries with obvious practical implications
(4) Conceptual breakthrough, novel ideas
(5) Challenge to traditional views, break dogma
(6) Opening up new area, cross board
What is a mediocre paper/research?
(1) Horizontal growth (e.g. I made the discovery in rats, you find the same in cat)
(2) Filling gaps (e.g. A actives B which is known to induce C. You show that A enhances C)
(3) Working out details
(4) Support existing idea, "me too"
(5) Follow up
(6) Incomplete study, preliminary